Emergence

Emergence
Embracing Nature... and Capturing It in a Picture!

Sunday, April 26, 2015

First Hiccup.

2 Posting things about my life on the internet has always unnerved me.  There's so many things to consider and rather than consider these things, I've liked to just be a social media voyeur.  For me it's been safer, easier and still entertaining.  

It turns out that my fears had some basis.  Early on in this project as I was trying to get myself kickstarted into posting things on social media  I posted a picture commenting on this ordination journey. There were numerous intentions behind this post and I was trying to efficient with my time.  To really make this social media platform work for me.  
My intentions behind this post were:
1. To thank the church community that has sponsored me in the process but that I do not get to see much. 
2. To take a risk and share something of my journey - the whole point of this assignment and lastly, 
3. To do my homework and actually do the work of this project by actually posting on social media.

Simple right?  Wrong!!

The concerns that I have had surrounding authentic posts being twisted actually materialized.  I got two messages from family members who were a bit upset and confused that they had not heard anything first before it was posted on facebook.  I know that's silly and I should be happy that people care and love me enough to want to be involved in my life, but the truth is I actually had nothing serious to share, and now I was in a position to feel uncomfortably defensive about nothing!  My first thought when I read the text message that began with "well missy..." was this is why I don't post things! 

I know there is an etiquette to social media, but I hadn't crossed any bounds and yet I was still getting some heat.  I guess this is par for the course.  People interpret and read into postings and it is naive to think that they will all be understood and embraced.  Having an online persona requires patience and a little bit of thick skin.  I will continue to work on fostering both as my online career continues to take root and grow...

I can't lie though, it was a lot easier when I never posted anything!!


No comments:

Post a Comment